Managed to get some use out of my investment in sound record toys this week. I spent one evening recording our Church Choir’s Christmas CD.
Was quite a small choir so was just using DigiDesign Pro Tools LE 7.4, my MBOX and two condenser mics. All went reasonably well during the recording. Is great fun just setting up all the equipment, sound-checking and then recording. I think we did OK, but if I was going to do it again I would separate the choir out into their different sections, and mic them and the organ up separately to try to get more control over the whole balance.
- Track 01 – Once in Royal David’s City
- Track 02 – O Little Town of Bethlehem
- Track 03 – O Come All Ye Faithful
- Track 04 – Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- Track 05 – God Rest Ye Merry! Gentlemen
- Track 06 – Silent Night
- Track 07 – In The Bleak Mid-Winter
- Track 08 – Ding Dong! Merrily On High
- Track 09 – Away in a Manger
- Track 10 – I Heard a Maiden Softly Sing
- Track 11 – Jesus Christ the Apple Tree
- Track 12 – The Angel Gabriel
Spent last night and most of today editing and doing the first mastering cut of the recordings. There were quite a few parts of different songs re-recorded because the choir hadn’t been happy with some sections of their songs – so have spent the day doing some clever precision cutting, pasting and matching to bring complete songs together.
So far, layout on all tracks is complete, gating and EQ is also complete where necessary. Haven’t been anywhere near the reverb yet but I will.
Am delivering the first draft tomorrow to the choir master with a view to probably going back this week to re-record the tracks they aren’t happy with.
After that, will do the final master.
Have to do my cover art for the CD too and then get my production line organised.
So far so good… just a bit of fun – enjoying getting to do this kind of thing!
Will keep you updated with progress on this little project.